Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tailgate Chili

Elise at Simply Recipes has posted some great sounding chili recipes. I can't wait to try one this weekend. Here's my favorite chili recipe that I make for Daytona 500 (my husband's Super Bowl :-)). The original version was from a Emeril Live recipe. He recommends opening individual bags of fritos and putting a scoop right into the bag. I tried this before and people got a kick out of it. Usually I serve in the more traditional bowl.

I like to make it the day before in the crockpot. Then I just reheat it the day of the party, either in a crockpot or stockpot. I either add the masa slurry the day I make it or the day I heat it up.

My Version of Emeril's Chili

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onions
Salt
Cayenne
2 pounds beef bottom round, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
Crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
3 cups crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 1/2 cups beef stock
2 cups canned dark red kidney beans
3 tablespoons masa
1 bag Frito Chips or any tortilla chip
grated Monterey Jack cheese
sour cream
1 small jar of jalapenos

n a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables start to wilt. Season with salt and cayenne. Stir in the beef , chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, and oregano. Brown the meat for 5 to 6 minutes. Place meat and vegetables into crockpot. Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, and beans. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours. During the last 30 minutes turn crockpot to high and add the masa slurry. To make the masa slurry, stir the masa with a little liquid from the stockpot to make a paste. Slowly stir in the masa slurry and continue to cook for 30 minutes. Reseason with salt and cayenne. Place a handful of the chips in each shallow bowl. Spoon the chili over the chips. Garnish with the grated cheese, sour cream and jalapenos.


3 comments:

ThreeTastes said...

This sounds "ono-licious" as they say in the Islands. I'm drooling as a read b/c dad was supposed to make us his chili when he came to visit but couldn't b/c of his gout condition. Sigh . . .

I love the idea of serving chili in a bag of Fritos -- and I don't even like Fritos! ; )

Anonymous said...

are you kidding? IT'S NOT SERVED IN THE FRITOS BAG

Craig & Malinda said...

That's how Emeril did it :-). It was fun to try, but as I mentioned above, I go for the more traditional bowl.